Friday, June 6, 2008

June 3, First track workout

The training was at Cubberly field, in Palo Alto/MV. Got there a bit early, warmed up by running 4 laps around the 400m field (4x400m = 1 mile). Did the usual batch of stretches, and then the coaches split us into groups. We were asked by our coach (Coach Raman), to stick to a time of around 2.40 for each lap, which is a very slow time. The session was supposed to run like this - run a lap, then take a 90 second break, run a lap and so on, 4 times.

Since there were a bunch of us who were quicker than 2.40 (we all missed the time trial), we set a quicker pace. I finished my first one in a relatively calm pace of 2.20. Then did the subsequent ones in 1.50, 1.40, 1.40. So, over 4 laps that is a total of 7.30. Am guessing running this continuously will add at least 1 minute to the total time. So, 8.30 is what am aiming for in my time trial.

Since it was an even field, I was running barefoot and as long as I watch where am running, it is very reasonable and comfortable.

One thing that all coaches and mentors repeat all the time is not to run for speed. This is the first time, there is no rush and the only goal should be to complete. It is a lot easy for me to do this, as I completely agree. 6 weeks back, a mile seemed so far and now, it is not. My goal is only to finish 26.2 miles and not get injured during the process. What I tell myself is, if I post a very good time this time around, then beating it next time would be a lot harder. So, ease off.

No comments: