Friday, June 6, 2008

May 24, My first 4 mile run

The long run at some trail that is apparently part of the SV marathon. I was scheduled to run 4 miles, which was approx twice as much as I have ever ran till not so long ago, and a mile and half more than what i was running on the weekday. It was a very narrow and cramped trail, and I just stood to the side while everyone passed and was the last one running. Thankfully, Ram( one of the guys I run with regularly) had done the same thing and we set off slowly, as we were used to our pace by now. 4 miles was a big thing for the both of us and we were careful not to be too quick. We just stuck to our pace and passed a decent amount of people, which for some reason felt good. The volunteers at Asha(people who dont run but volunteer their time to setup waterstops and stuff) were at the one mile marker, and I foolishly assumed they would be there at the 2 mile marker too, where I would turn around. The second mile was a little harder than I expected but the water stop motivated me as I knew I could cheat a bit and stop for a few seconds. To my horror, there was no water at the 2nd mile. And now I was one mile away from my break. But thankfully I manned up and kept running, and we made it to the water stop where I made a quick stop for some Gatorade and kept going immediately. Even the 10 second stop made it hard to start again. As I was running, I realized that it was slowly becoming more natural. I hate treadmills, I cannot run alone(well have never really tried) and here I was. Me and Ram made it back to the start line and 4 miles were completed successfully in decent time. Since neither of us kept track we dont know the time, but like to believe it was a 'decent time'.

Now, this was a major milestone of sorts. I hate running and didnt have the stamina to run, and here I was, running 4 miles less than a month after starting this training. It felt awesome, and more importantly, it felt possible.

No comments: