Tuesday, June 24, 2008

the performance pressure of running barefoot

Running barefoot seems to be pretty uncommon, at least in the runners I encounter around San Jose. The sole(no pun intended) reason for me doing this is to reduce/prevent injury. As I have explained earlier, running barefoot means you do not have the luxury of making mistakes in running form, inefficiency etc. Thus, you immediately correct your mistakes, which in effect reduces the chances of injury.
But many people, mostly other runners, seem to think that running barefoot is an exhibition than a better approach to running. People seem to think I am doing this to prove that this is possible, or to rough it or something unnatural.
For example, during the last long run, these are some of the conversations(sort-of) that I had with other people that I shared the trail with.

Lady with dog: (with a huge smile)OH MY GOD! You are insane!!!!
Me(running in opposite direction): Not really
Lady with dog: YES YOU ARE

Random girl: (stops running and starts clapping) That(me running barefoot) is so great...
Me: (uhhh.. what do I say... say something smart, or funny, or non-chalant.... ok, they are 20 yards away now and I just acted rude by not saying anything)

Other random comments
"Nice shoes"
"Your laces are undone"

What this looks like from other people's PoV is that am doing something that is hard or difficult, and like I am trying to make a point. They seem to think that I have a disadvantage, that this is a super-human effort. Running a marathon is, running barefoot is not. I am not dumb enough to attempt something with a disadvantage. I believe running barefoot gives me an advantage over me running with shoes, which is precisely why I do it. Am doing something which is easier and more natural, something which works for me. And it is not as hard as it looks.
But to the title/point of this post. If I get injured, people are going to attribute it to the barefoot running. If I get tired or if it is not my day, it is going to be attributed to the same thing. Which makes me think twice before giving up, before stopping to take a breather. So, in all it works out pretty well, sorta.

1 comment:

Manjushree Abhinav said...

Hi, I am a new barefooter and I am so walk happy, that I feel like running now. My legs have improved muscle power, my stride is bigger, I walk hugging the earth with my feet and all fear of 'what if i step on glass, etc' has gone.
Ignore people who think you are mad. We are merely the first to break a myth, so we'll have to face these idiots.
Are you a member of SBL? (Society for barefoot living)